Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of "New School"

Today was Jack's first day of school. He has been going to a Mother's Day Out program once a week at a local church since January, and we called it school. Now he is going to a similar program at a different local church two days a week, but this is his "new school." Got it? Good! They are very different programs and we had to differentiate between the two somehow, so Jack picked up on the fact that this was a new and different school, so today was his first day of new school!

I was a little concerned because the new school is very much like real school in that you drop off your child in the car line - there's no getting out and walking them in. This is actually one of the things I really like about it, but I wasn't sure how Jack would handle it this morning. We had a practice run yesterday and I showed him where I would park, told him that his teacher would unbuckle him and he would walk in with her, Mama and Anna would stay in the car, we would wave bye-bye, etc . . . . I think that actually helped. He was a little unsure of the strange person who opened the car door this morning, but then his teacher came out and she carried him in. He didn't walk, but he didn't cry, so I count that as success! When I picked him up he told me that he had fun, played with toys, hit balls, ran fast, and ate cookies. I'll take that as a good day!

Here are some pictures of Jack before his first day of of school. You know how most kids stand there smiling, posing with their new backpacks for their first-day-of-school picture? Not my kid! Take a look . . . this was the best I could get!



He's actually screaming "No!" and getting ready to run away!
That will be a lovely one for the scrapbook, won't it?!

2 comments:

The Browns said...

i think it's the red hair. sound's like something my redhead would do!

Anonymous said...

Love the shorts. They are adorable! The shot of him lounging on the steps is great!