Monday, February 4, 2008

Potty Advice

A couple weeks ago, I decided we should at least introduce Jack to the potty seat, even though I realize we are nowhere near ready to officially begin potty training. I put the potty in the bathroom and tried to explain what we do with it, etc. Apparently I did not specify that the potty stays in the the bathroom, because a little while later, he had pulled it into our bedroom and perched himself on top to watch a video. Well, at least he sat on it! Of course, he also pulls it over to the counter and uses it as a stepstool to reach things he's not supposed to have.


Oh, and lately it's been used as a bookshelf . . .

. . . and a secret storage space for his beloved blanket!

Now he won't sit on it at all, but of course he'll sit on the floor next to it and read books all day long! So . . . anyone have any advice, tips, books to read, etc? I'm all ears!

4 comments:

Charlotte Evans said...

You can't rush it! Jack will do it when he is ready. My advise is to let Marshall teach him and you teach Anna :) That's definitely fair. GOOD LUCK! So glad to hear you all are feeling better.

Shaun Garcia said...

Hey! The little potty didn't work for either of our kids. We got one of those kid sized potty seats that sits on top of the big potty (you can get them at Walmart for like $10). Plus it's great because you don't have to clean out that little pot-yuck! Anyway, When they turned 2, they started showing interest, so we just replaced their daipers with underwear (during the day). Be prepared for a few puddles... And we sat them on the potty every 15 minutes and encouraged them. After about a week, and several loads of laundry, they were using the potty like big boys!

Kelli said...

My theory is that each kid has a window of intelligence for the potty. You have to catch him when he's smart enough to understand the concept, but before he's TOO smart and realizes the diaper gig is too good (he doesn't have to stop playing if he potties in his diaper!). We missed our window with Noah and it was a struggle, but just remember: reward, reward, reward.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!
We had Tripp trained in 2 days! Trained sounds kinda bad, doesn't it?! But he was using his potty and out of diapers in a day or two. I used the advice of a friend. It worked! Call me and I'll explain or tell your mom to give me a call.
:)
Sabrina