Saturday, January 10, 2009

Big Girl Bed

It's that time again . . . we're having another baby in a few months so the child who's currently sleeping in the crib gets booted out and into a "real" bed.

Here's how it went down:
Once Anna woke up from her afternoon nap on Friday, I moved her crib to the side and put the mattress and frame where the crib used to be. She and Jack had a ball playing on it. She just kept going up and down the stool and back and forth to the bookshelf. Jack immediately went back to his room to get his pillow and 'cover' (as he said) so he could sleep on Anna's new bed! Once Marshall got home, he took her crib apart and we played on the bed until it was bed time.








Just resting.

At bed time I rocked her, read books, and sang just like usual. I put her in bed (head on her pillow), covered her up with her purple blanket, gave her books and paci and told her goodnight. This was 8:09. I accidentally didn't close the door all the way (I thought it latched but it didn't) and within seconds she was in the hallway. I put her back in bed and closed the door all the way. She was already grinning and on her way off the bed before I got to the door.

I watched her feet under the crack in the door and she walked all over her room. She pulled books off the shelf, opened a dresser drawer and pulled clothes out and threw them on the floor, she came to the door and tried to open it, and then repeated all of that over again several times. Finally I saw her get back on the bed. This was 8:16!!!! We didn't hear another peep and this is what she looked like when I checked on her about an hour later.

She slept soundly all night and this is what we found this morning at 7:45. YAY!!!


The kids napped in the car today since we were on our way home from the zoo (see post below) so we didn't have to deal with the bed at nap time today. Tonight, she wouldn't let me rock her, she wanted to sit on her bed and read books. We did that and I left. She immediately got out of bed and came to the door, but it was closed so she couldn't open it. She fussed (whined, not cried) for a few minutes on and off. Never enough for me to go back in there. She was quiet after about 10 minutes and this is what I found when I checked on her.
I'm so excited that the transition seems to be going pretty smoothly so far. Of course, we haven't had to deal with nap time yet, so we will see how that one goes tomorrow.

Not to be left out, here's a shot of our firstborn sleeping soundly tonight in his own big boy bed that was once just a mattress and frame on the floor, too.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Yeah for Anna (and you)! That was super easy! I hope she keeps it up!

Lydia said...

Wow! Super impressed. She did great. I can't imagine Emma Kate sleeping in a "real" bed. I'm going to send her to you for the weekend!

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. What a big girl!! Lorelai will be transitioning to her big girl bed after we move this weekend.

Meredith said...

You do such a great job with them, Megan!

Kevin and Lisa said...

Wow! I love the play by play! You're so great!