Sunday, August 12, 2007

Big Boy Bed!!!

We finally did it - well, Jack finally did it - he made the move from his crib to a big boy bed! Since we will need the crib for Jack's little sister very soon, we decided it was time to finally attempt to make the move. I really wanted him adjusted to his new sleeping arrangements well before October and I've heard it can be a tough process.

Here's the play by play . . . .

Friday afternoon we took apart the crib and set up a twin mattress and box spring on the floor in his room. He had a good time climbing in and out of his crib as it was being disassembled!


Here's what took the crib's place.

We let him play on the bed and we read books on it and talked about it all night long.

Here's Jack in his pajamas, getting ready to go to bed on night one.

Night 1
As soon as we left the room he cried hysterically (which he NEVER does so I absolutely can't stand to hear) for a few minutes and Marshall and I went in to comfort him and put him back into bed (he had climbed out and was at the door). He fussed a little bit and got back out of bed to play by the door which was baby gated so he couldn't get out, but he could open and close the door. He eventually closed the door and latched it and we never heard another peep out of him. When we went to check on him he had fallen asleep by the door. Marshall tried putting him back in bed but he immediately got out and went back to the door - which is where he fell asleep again. So . . . my child slept on the floor all night long! But he didn't cry, which is really all I was worried about!

Day 2 - Nap time
This pretty much explains what happened this go around. Jack got out of bed, played for a while, and changed the rain sounds (that he sleeps with every day/night) to rap music! When I checked on him I just took this picture and changed the rap back to rain - I didn't even attempt to move him back to the bed.

Night 2
Guess Jack got tired of sleeping on the hard floor! We practiced getting on and off the bed with a stool all day, so that must have helped. He got out of bed and came to the door, but went right back to his bed and slept there all night long - yay!!

Here are some pictures from this morning after waking up in his big boy bed.


Ready to get down and play after a good night's sleep!

Here's a shot from today's nap time and although he's not sleeping in the right direction, he's in the bed and that's what counts!

So far things are going much smoother than I thought so our prayers for an easy transition just may have been answered.
We will keep you posted . . .

5 comments:

Judy Johnson said...

Once again, you've given me a good laugh! Except for the red hair, these could be pictures of Katie Jo "learning" to sleep in her big girl bed.

Lottie said...

OK- I laughed out loud seeing the picture from Day #2 nap time! And the fact that he changed his rain sounds to rap music - stinkin hilarious! Anna has got alot to look forward to with the fun big brother shes going to have!

Kelly said...

Too cute! Just wait until you hear the thud in the middle of the night and when you go and check he's in the floor, and still sound asleep! I can't tell you how many times that happened with Caroline right after we moved her into her big girl bed. :-)

Charlotte Evans said...

What a cutie boy! He's going to make a great big brother:) God bless.

Corrie said...

I love the one of him with his feet at the top of the bed. :)