Friday, July 11, 2008

Our Surprise Visitor

So our dog was acting really weird last night. He wouldn't come out of the kitchen and he was acting scared and just strange. Now if you remember, this isn't the first time he's acted crazy for no reason at all, so we really didn't think anything about it. This morning I let Hank out through the kitchen door and went on about my morning business. I noticed the doormat on top of the washing machine (I left it here to dry after washing it yesterday) and went to put it back in front of the door and I noticed this:



Uh, yeah, that's what you think it is. A SNAKE . . . . IN MY HOUSE . . . EW!!! I ran upstairs to get Marshall (who didn't believe me at first), and he came downstairs to dispose of our visitor. We're still not exactly sure how he got inside (and that really creeps me out), but we think that's what Hank was acting all crazy about last night. I think the snake tried to slide through the crack in the door when I let Hank out and I closed it on him and squished his head. Thank goodness I didn't notice him until after he was stuck in the door!! I'm not really scared of snakes, when they are minding their own business in their own habitat. When they're in my house they deserve to have their heads squished! He's a small little guy, but creepy nonetheless. I have no idea what kind of snake this is, so if anyone sees this picture and has a little more insight than me, feel free to comment.


I just hope his Mama doesn't come looking for him . . . . . .

9 comments:

The Dales said...

Ok, now you have scared me to death! I would never be able to sleep again, I'm such a scaredy-cat!

natalie said...

It looks like a corn snake to me. (I didn't know just by looking at it. I'm a librarian...I looked it up!) It is a non-venomous snake that is common in this area. They can grow up to 4 ft long, so I would keep an eye out for Mama!

Nicholas said...

At least you didn't have a mouse that was too fast to catch!! We had one around Thanksgiving and finally found it dead under the house after putting poison out. Those mouse traps just don't work! Glad you are all safe!

Anonymous said...

I would have died of a heart attack! I am TERRIFIED of snakes! I could hardly stand being in the house with a little skink - I would pass out if there were a snake in the house. Glad everyone is safe!

Varner Party of 3 said...

Holy cow! I would have had a heart attack, and I definitely wouldn't have been able to sleep after that. You are a brave woman. (I wonder what Jack would have done if he had found it.)

Anonymous said...

THESE ALL WERE GREAT PICS, SURE WISH WE COULD HAVE BEEN THERE. THE KIDS ARE GROWING EVERYDAY LOOKS LIKE. THEY ARE THE CUTEST THINGS!!!

GLAD ALL IS WELL THERE, WE LOVE YOU ALL AND ARE SO HAPPY FOR YOU,

PAPA & GAil

ps, the snake was an Amazon Python that grows to 30 ft long...!! No, I don't know but, from the pics it looked like a diamondback rattler but it had no rattles did it? What excitment you guys have around there..........

Anonymous said...

You are a better man than I am. I would have had a "For Sale" sign in the yard pronto!

Gerrick, Dana, Trace, and Anna Kate said...

Oh my goodness! After looking at the pics, I pulled my feet up into the chair and looked around to make sure there aren't any snakes crawling around! Yikes!

Wanda Tripp said...

Looks like a juvenile rat snake to me. I've rescued a couple from houses in my neighborhood, and from a few schools.

Don't worry about the mama, only the King Cobra provides any parental care.

Check the link and see if you agree: http://tinyurl.com/5ccutq